Four years ago we decided to get a puppy. So we found a precious chocolate lab puppy, born on February 14th, and brought him home at 8 weeks old. We named him Bear. The first night we brought him home he slept in our bed because he kept crying...he also slept in our bed for a couple of nights after that. Eventually he slept in his little kennel in the room next to ours, and as he got older he moved downstairs. I remember crying the first day that I left him to go to work because I came home to him crying in his kennel, my mom helped babysit him on her days off after that & Tony worked close so he had to come home to let him out. I used to wrap him up like a baby and hold him like one, and he would let me cuddle him! Not long after we got Bear I got pregnant with Macie, so as he got older and as I became more pregnant & eventually had Macie, he became just the dog & not the baby anymore. He went through the typical puppy stage of potty training, chewing, etc, but after taking him to training he learned fast. Bear was such a good dog. He only barked when a stranger came around our house, which I appreciated because I always knew someone was coming to the door before they knocked! He was so great with kids- he would let them crawl all over him and never even hinted towards hurting anyone. I admit I got upset with him sometimes and should have spent more time petting him and playing with him and loving him, but I guess you don't realize what you have until it's gone sometimes.
On Saturday Bear wasn't feeling well. He's had days where he doesn't feel well, but always is better within a day, so we didn't think much of it. Tony found some throw-up in the flower bed with blood in it, so that had us a little concerned- we decided if he wasn't feeling better by Sunday we'd take him to the vet. Paxton was blessed on Sunday so had a lot going on.
On Sunday morning Tony went down to get Bear out of his kennel and found him dead....only 4 years old. I always knew I'd be sad when he died (thinking he'd be around at least another 10 yrs), but I didn't realize how bad it would affect me. Seeing his empty dog dishes, his toys just sitting there, coming home & not having him waiting at the gate, his corner where his dogbed used to be empty....it's so sad. It's been 4 days and I have yet to go a day without crying. I keep expecting to look out the window and see him there. But nothing. Our house now feels like something (or someone) is missing. We wish we knew why he died, especially so young...we will always wonder.
Macie cried when she found out. We told her that he got sick and went to Heaven with Jesus. Whenever I cry she says "Mom, do you miss Bear so much?" and "Don't cry, I'm here" and "When we go to Heaven we'll see Bear again!" She is too sweet. We're already thinking about another dog...not to replace Bear (because I doubt we'll ever get lucky enough to find another dog as good as he was), but to fill the void.
I know I didn't walk you as much as I should have, and I should have been more patient with you, but I did love you Bear, and we will miss you so much!
3 comments:
Ashley, such a sweet post to you Bear. He knows you loved him, I hope you all start to feel better soon.
Oh Ash I am so sorry!
We will miss Bear too! I couldn't think of worse timing either! You're a trooper girl! And I know you'll find a dog that you'll love just as much as bear. It does make me appreciate Chief more after reading your post. I will try to walk him more and not curse as I pick up dog poop! :) Sure love ya!
Post a Comment