Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11

I remember 10 years ago on 9.11.01 my mom woke me up and told me a plane had hit the World Trade Center.  I thought it must have been a tragic accident and watched/listened to the news as I got up and got ready.  Then the 2nd plane hit, then the Pentagon, and then another plane went down, and we all soon realized that it was no accident, but a horrific terrorist attack.  I went to work..I was working for a dentist in Sugarhouse...and our day was pretty dead.  Most people did not want to come in for dental work that day so we closed early.  Me and 2 of the assistants went to the Red Cross to donate blood but there was a 4 hour wait so we left..it was amazing to see the amount of people who stepped up that day and how our country came together.  I remember being glued to the TV for weeks, watching those images over and over. 
This weekend being the 10th anniversary of 9/11 I found myself glued to the TV once again...I do that every year at this time.  There are always incredible stories.  Yesterday, on 9/11 we had a family BBQ at my parents' house then went to the 9/11 memorial in Sandy.  There were almost 3,000 American flags standing for every life lost that day!  Each flag had a tag on it with a name, their age, where they were killed, and a short bio on them.  Remembering each life as an individual makes it that much more surreal.  I wanted to read every single one of them, but it was freezing cold and raining so we only read some of them.  It was such an amazing sight.  We also saw the statue of the firemen raising a flag at ground zero.  As cold as it was we were so glad we took the time to remember those who died that day.  God Bless this amazing country!





It was freezing and we hadn't prepared for that so none of us brought jackets except my uncle Michael...he put Pax in his jacket to keep him warm!


9.11

No comments: