Monday, August 12, 2013

Brady's Kidney Testing

 
Since my 20 week ultrasound we've know Brady has had some issues with his kidneys.  Both kidneys are dilated and holding more fluid than they should be.  Things were the same at my 30 week ultrasound so when he was a week old he had an ultrasound and they were still "moderately" dilated and would need follow-up testing.  On Monday June 3rd Tony and I had to take Brady up to Primary Childrens' Hospital for the testing.  It was something that I was dreading because I didn't want to see them stick my baby or hurt him.  That morning Tony took Macie to school then we took Paxton out to my sister-in-law Tracey then we headed up there. 
The first test they did was to test to see if there was a blockage.  They had to put a catheter in and give him an IV in his arm with radioactive fluid.  He cried pretty hard while they did that but they were quick and did both at the same time.  I was dripping tears while they did it...it was really hard to watch.  I was so grateful to have Tony there to be my rock.  I knew I woudn't be able to handle it myself and he was very comforting.  After they got the IV and catheter in Brady relaxed and was just fine...I think he was more upset about being naked and cold than anything, although I'm sure it was pretty uncomfortable for him.  Then they laid him on the table with 2 heavy bean-bag type things over each arm so he couldn't move and covered him up and put him under the x-ray machine. He had to lay there for about 45 minutes so we just sat by him.  I held his little hand the whole time and just tried to soothe him.  He did so well and just laid and stared at me for awhile then eventually fell asleep.  He is such a sweet boy.
They kept the catheter in for the 2nd test but took the IV out.  For the 2nd test (which I thought would be the easier one but turned out to be much harder for him than the first) he had to lay under another x-ray machine and we had to hold him down and tilt him side to side for x-rays while they injected fluid into him through the catheter.  He cried pretty much the entire 20 minutes...it was really hard to watch.  That test was testing for reflux in the kidneys.
After the testing was complete I just cuddled my baby until he fell asleep then we went down the street and got some lunch. We went back for an appointment with the Urologist who was really great.  Turns out Brady has a blockage and not the reflux which is better since he isn't at risk for UTIs and could go off of the antibiotic that he'd been on since he was 2 weeks old.  It also means when we go back for testing that he only has to do the 1st test which seemed easier on him.  It will probably be more challenging as he'll be much more mobile, though. The doctor said he thought things were going to be a lot worse than they are and that even since Brady's ultrasound at 1 week old things have improved.  He will have to have the test again in December to see how things are progressing but the doctor seemed optimistic that things would improve on their own. 
We were pretty drained by the end of the day since we'd been there so long.  It was a rough day on all of us.  However, I left thinking how blessed we are.  As hard as it is to know that Brady has this issue, it could be a lot worse.  There are children there that have cancer and other illnesses that keep them in the hospital and undergoing constant testing and poking and prodding and as a parent I can honestly say that would absolutely kill me to watch my child go through that.  So as hard as that day was for us, it was just one day, and I am so grateful that it is a minor, fairly common problem that shouldn't cause any serious issues for Brady. Even if he has to have a surgery to correct it it's pretty minor.

No comments: