Sunday, January 19, 2014

Brady's Kidney Tests (#2)

In December we had to go back for follow-up testing on Brady's kidneys.  This time they only had to do one of the tests, and thankfully not the one that he screamed through the whole time last time.  But this test does require him to get an IV in his little hand as well as a catheter.  They also have to strap him down and he has to lay in that position, still, for about 45 minutes while the machine takes x-ray scans every few seconds.  They are testing to see how fast the fluid is draining through his kidneys to find out if the blockage is getting better or worse.
Of course about 1 or 2 weeks prior to this test Brady decided to just out of the blue quit the binky.  I happen to be a huge binky advocate and tried to make him have it but he refused.  I worried about the test because 1. he doesn't sit still for 5 seconds, let alone 45 minutes, and 2. he rarely just falls asleep on his own.  Once we got past the hard part of putting the IV and catheter in he eventually quit fighting the restraints and fell asleep.  They gave me some cherry syrup to dip the binky in so he did take it just to fall asleep...but hasn't taken it since.  (I guess that's a good thing.)
Anyway, after the test we met with the specialist.  One of the kidneys has improved but the other has actually gotten worse.  That wasn't the news I was hoping for.  The last thing I want to do is watch this poor baby of mine go through this stupid test again, and of course I just want him to be healthy!  So we will be back at PCH next June(ish) for another test.  If that one shows the same or worse then they will go ahead and schedule surgery to correct it.  If it is getting better then they will test again in December.  Either way, it feels like kind of a long road ahead of this stuff.  (Turns out, these hospital visits aren't cheap, either.  I'm thankful to have insurance but it's still a pretty hefty copay & deductible.  Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do!)
Those big blue eyes melt my heart...it was hard to watch him have to lay there without being able to pick him up to comfort him.  :(

Finally fell asleep and was out the rest of the testing until they pulled the catheter and IV out. 

The specialist had sugar-free suckers so I let Brady have one since he was such a brave boy.  He LOVED it!

No comments: