Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Anniversary Weekend

Tony and I celebrated our 6th anniversary on Saturday.  We went to Mesquite for the weekend for a little (much-needed) getaway.  I felt bad leaving the kids because they both came down with the flu.  Part of me wanted to cancel the trip but we really needed a weekend to ourselves and had planned it for awhile...plus I knew my mom would take care of them just as well as I would so I knew they were in good hands!
Anyway, we got to Mesquite later on Friday night and gambled a little before going to bed.  On Saturday I woke up feeling pretty lousy, weak, & achy.  I gulped down some PeptoBismol and tried to get past it as we drove to Vegas and spent the day there.  Our first stop was the pawn shop on "Pawn Stars" which is one of our favorite shows.  It was a lot smaller than it looks on TV, and we were a little disappointed that none of the guys, especially Chumlee, were there, but it was still pretty cool to see!
Next we went shopping at the outlets then parked at the MGM and walked down the strip to Caesars Palace.
"Pawn Stars" pawn shop


Rick from "Pawn Stars"....wish he would have been there live!
We stopped at the Coca Cola store which was fun...especially since we are addicted to Diet Coke!  We had gone to the M&M store which was okay, but I'm not a huge M&M fan so this to me was way better!  Tony found this giant Diet Coke can bank...he wishes they would make the real cans that big!

At the Coca Cola store we got a sampler tray of Coke from around the world with a little map to tell us where each was from.  There were a few good ones and a few terrible ones, but it was fun...and nice to sit down and rest for a minute!  My favorite was a sour apple one from China...deelish! I think the one I hated was the one from England...it looked like sprite but tasted like sprite & vodka mixed...it was horrible and the taste lingered way too long! 

On our way down the strip we stopped to watch this parrot lady...she was hilarious with her parrots and the birds did some pretty cool tricks!  Again, it was just nice to sit and relax for a minute!  (Side note: it was 106 degrees and I was feeling extremely achy/weak so any breaks we could take were gladly welcomed!)
The Lions at the MGM Grand...these guys were just chillin' in there with them.  So crazy!


Anyway, we walked through a few of the hotels on our way down the strip, including the new Cosmopolatin Hotel which is GINORMOUS!  It literally has it's own zip code!  So neat!  After shopping the forum shops at Caesar's Palace I had to go to the the Serendipity 3 outside and try their famous frozen hot chocolate.  (If you've ever seen the movie Serendipity they go to the original one in New York and get a giant one...being someone who is kind of obsessed with hot chocolate I've always wanted to try it!)  It was a little pricy since it was just a small shake size and TEN DOLLARS!!!  But it was probably one of the most amazing drinks I've ever tasted!  It was heaven!  What I would give to have a Serendipity 4 here so I can have one anytime I want...but then again I'd go broke at $10 each so it's probably best that it stays far far away!

At that point it was time to walk back to the MGM to our car...which was SO FAR AWAY!  The thought of walking all the way there was unbearable and we kind of planned on getting a bus or taxi at some point but somehow we just kept walking and eventually got to the point where we were too close to pay $10 to ride down the street!  We were so exhausted when we got to the car...luckily Tony drove back to Mesquite and I took a nice snooze!  When we got back we rested in our hotel for a little while then went to the dinner buffet at the Eureka which had all-you-can-eat crab legs- my favorite!!!  I was so excited and since I hadn't eaten much all day from not feeling great I binged!  Tony is sweet...after he finished eating he helped break the crab legs for me and get the meat out to save me some trouble...that's a good husband, I don't care who you are!  It was so delicious! 

After dinner we wanted to gamble some more but the night was still young and we knew we'd probably lose pretty fast, so we decided to go see a movie to postpone losing our money!  We saw "Bad Teacher" which could have been funnier had they thrown in a few more funny parts and done away with some swearing/offensive parts...but it was okay.  We were tired after but decided to go gamble the rest of our gambling money away.  Mine went fast but Tony sat down at a $2 blackjack table which kept him up and down all night...I was so freakin' tired I was ready to go at 11:30 but 2 hours later when I was snoozing at a slot machine Tony finally decided we could go!  And he only walked away with $15 left!  Oh well, we had fun!

We did the breakfast buffet on Sunday morning (you can't go to a casino city and not do the buffets, it's just not right)...it was amazing!  We left stuffed to the core and headed home.  We had a fun weekend, but I was happy to see my kids!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey Ash! It was fun to see you and your mom the other night. I'd love to add you to my blog list but I don't have your blogger email. Will you send me your address and then I'll send you an invitation? Thanks babe! juliecmorales@gmail.com