Macie has told me for quite awhile that her right eye is blurry but I kind of brushed it off thinking it was allergies or something. After not passing the eye test with her pediatrician and then again at school we decided it was time to get her into an eye doctor. Turns out she has Amblyopia (aka "lazy eye") Thankfully it's not the kind where her eye wanders so she looks normal to anyone looking at her. But apparently her right eye can't focus on anything so it's always blurry. It's one of the most common eye problems in children and we caught it very early so there is a lot that can be done. This means Macie has to wear glasses (the right lens is as thick as they come!) to train her right eye to focus. We'll have to go back in 6 weeks and see if there is any improvement, if there is then she'll just continue to wear the glasses, if not then she'll have to wear a patch on her good eye for 2 hours a day for up to a year in order to make her bad eye work harder. So we're crossing our fingers that it doesn't come to that. The doctor said that in a couple of years she can wear a contact lens in just the right eye and down the road she can have corrective surgery.
I almost started crying when I found out she needed glasses. I'm not sure if it was guilt for not taking her in earlier or knowing she has a medical issue that I can't fix right away or if maybe I was a little worried that she might get made fun of wearing glasses.
Turns out she was super excited to pick out a cute pair of purple flower glasses and after our trip when we picked them up she has been so excited to show everyone! And apparently it's the cool thing because all of her friends and cousins her age are totally jealous! I guess I remember always wanting glasses when I was little...kids are funny...I'm just glad everyone has been nice to her about them. Most importantly, she feels great about them. I am a little concerned about how she'll take care of them, but we got them at Walmart and they will replace them at no charge for up to a year if they get broken so I'm sure we'll be taking advantage of that!
There are so many worse things that could be wrong with her so I am very thankful that this is just a minor issue and it can be corrected. Also, it's a lot harder for me to get mad at her with glasses...not really sure why. She's so stinkin' cute! :)
3 comments:
Ash she is DARLING with glasses! I'm SO glad you caught it early. Good job! She'll do great with them and I'm sure everything will be okay. What a good mom you are! And your Disneyland trip looked like SO much fun. What a great idea to go on the bus! :) Gotta love Disney!! So glad you had fun! Love ya!
Macie can make anything look good! She is so adorable!
I have never heard about a lazy eye like that. Good thing you caught it early. She really looks cute! And her Mckenna doll got glasses too right?!
She looks adorable in them! Hope things work out great. She rocks the glasses!
Post a Comment