Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Macie's 5 Year Checkup


About a week before her 5th birthday Macie went in for her 5 year old checkup.  She weighed in at 42lbs (50%) and is 42 inches tall (50%).  She did really good on her eye exam on the left eye but when she got to the right eye she struggled a little.  She was having a hard time seeing the smaller things, but the nurse said that sometimes when they are covering the first eye they press their hand on it too hard so when they test that eye it can be kind of blurry.  Hopefully that's all it is, but Dr. B said we'll monitor it. 

Macie is getting smarter by the day.  She knows all of her letters & sounds & can recognize a lot of words and can sound out most of the ones that can be sounded out.  I never realized how complicated the English language is until I started trying to teach her!  There are so many exceptions to the rules!
She has been learning to write this year in school and is getting so good.  It is so fun to see her write her own name and be able to write a letter to someone.  It's also fun to hear her read.  She can read Paxton's little dinosaur book (she has it memorized) and she reads it to him all the time...it's so cute!  Her other favorite books are the Little Critter books, especially "Just Go to Bed" and "I Was Just So Mad", and also Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham" because she can read most of the words. 

Macie can count to 100 and even past it, and she can also count to 100 by 10s. 

One thing I have noticed over the last few months is how much she is learning in Primary at church.  Over General Conference weekend we were watching a session on that Sunday and I could tell she was pretty bored.  I don't force her to watch it, but she can't watch anything else so she does at least hear it while she plays.  After it was over she said "Is the prophet show over yet?  Cause it's kind of boring!"  Haha...love her honesty!

Macie is such a big helper.  I have been having her have "chores" and she rarely every complains, and in fact usually is excited about doing them.  She puts her folded clothes away in her drawers, makes her bed, "cleans" her room, and picks up her toys.  She loves to clean with Windex whenever I'll let her so I usually assign her the glass door or something big that will keep her occupied while I clean everything else.  She is also a great helper with her brother.  She is always willing to grab me a diaper or whatever else I need and she is always looking out for him.  When she hears him wake up in the morning or after his nap she is usually in there before me to get him out of his crib.  It's crazy to watch her get him out since he is almost as big as she is!  But he loves when she comes to get him, and they will stay and play in his room for quite awhile on days we get to sleep in so it's very nice!  She makes me think I could probably handle another baby since she is like a 2nd little mommy and helps so much...and she wants another baby (preferably a girl) SO bad!  We'll see!

We love our little, independent girly and everything about her!

No comments: