Sunday, October 5, 2014

Emigration Canyon & Utah Game

In July, my sweet Granny Hilda passed away.  She was one of the healthiest people I knew even at age 95!  She fell and broke her pelvis bone/hip bone and was told that if they did surgery it could kill her but if they didn't do surgery she'd be in a wheelchair.  She decided walk or die.  She actually came out of the surgery really well and was sent to a rehabilitation clinic to recover.  But there, her organs just slowly started shutting down, most likely from the trauma of the anesthetic and surgery at her age.  They wanted to send her back to the hospital but she decided that her time here was finished and chose to pass on.  It was nice to be able to say goodbye and as sad as I was to see her go I can't think of a better way to die. 
 She LIVED her life up until the end, not only hiking daily but was actually the LEADER of her hiking club.  She ate and drank healthy, exercised regularly, volunteered at the hospice clinic, and lived fully and faithfully in her Christianity.  She was always a happy, positive person and always seemed to have a smile on her face.  She didn't want a funeral or anyone to "fuss" over her so she was creamated (as was my Grandpa when he passed away in 2005.) 
There was no funeral but we got most of my dad's family together this past weekend to celebrate her life and remember her.  The property where they lived is going to be sold so it was bittersweet to say goodbye to an era and a legacy.  I have a lot of memories there and it will be sad to not have that place to go anymore.  I had to take one last swing on this swing that I have swung on a hundred+ times.  Everyone got some ashes of my granny and grandpa mixed together with flower seeds.  I kept mine and will put them in my flower beds and maybe somewhere else special.  Creamation is different than the traditional deaths I have encountered but I can't say it's as weird as I thought it would be.  I'm not a cemetery kind of person so it's kind of cool to have a piece of them that I can have and visit wherever I want.  I love you sweet Granny and will miss you until we meet again!
 


 
 
Later on in the day Tony and I went to the Utah vs Washington State game.  It was a RAINY day...we literally wore our rain suits!  Utes started out 21-0 in the first quarter so we were feeling comfortable with the lead.  BUT, then they decided to just quit playing I guess and let WSU come back and beat us with 4 minutes left in the game by ONE POINT 27-28!  It was the most frustrating, nail-biting game and ended up in such a disappointment especially after sitting in the cold, pouring rain for 4 hours!  I might be a little too into this football thing...my blood pressure is probably going to be high by the end of the season!

No comments: